Tuesday, November 2, 2010

MARK ON MEMORYSCAPE

Chilakaluripet is a small town which is famous as well as notorious because of its name.. Here I remember seeing a film called Rahasyam in which Akkineni Nageswara Rao was the hero. The village nearby called Rajapet was the village to which my cousins and I used to go every summer to my uncle’s house. One had to cross a small canal to reach this village which looked half-deserted and sunk in the old times. The houses were of mainly built of mud and my relatives’ houses were of brick and cement. The small library there used to attract us. Morning and evening baths in the canal gave us a lot of joy and took care of our time which hung heavily on our hands. Alas! Today’s children are deprived of these summer pleasures which cemented relations among people and nature. The weavers constituted a sizeable section. To this village once came the famous singer Ghantasala to attend the marriage of my uncle’s daughter. On that occasion my brothers and I used to enact monoaction of various characters from the epics and received a lot of praise from the near and dear. Here I read about Indo- Bangladesh war, prisoners of war , the death of our college principal in an accident while on a picnic to the sea at Ramaya patnam. During the summer we used to reach Chilakaluripet on bicycles to see films and the tamarind trees on the way used to send shivers down our spines while coming back from the films during the dead of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment