Tuesday, September 7, 2010

AMRAPALI'S SELF--SURRENDER - KARUNASRI

( Budddha , along with his disciples visited the city of Vaisali. Royal dancer Amrapali welcomed the teacher of the world in supreme joy. In that mood, love and devotion rose and flowed like waves in her heart.)

Why this morning spouted so sweetly
Why my heart sighed so quietly
The deer are leaping in joy boundless
My heart flooded with fuzzy waves.


In the supreme garden of Lumbini
The queen Mayadevi of Sakya realm
Gave birth to crop of harmony
He would step into dwelling of dancer of Vaisali.

The sea of mercy whose smile bloomed a thousand parijatas
Kin of the mercy seekers whose steps hidden heavens a crore
Arriving today the remover of dangers
Visiting today the founder of the wheel of Dharma.

The infinite crop of mercy
Who would cajole and care for
The swan fallen hit by tough and nasty arrow
Would step into dwelling of dancer of Vaisali.

My lord my god of mercy obliged me
Listened to my prayer, accepted my invitation
Millionaires many invited him to their palaces
Rejecting all, the lord blessed me Amrapali alone.

Sacrificing kingdom and realm of love
Leaving the darling son of shining cheeks
Moved away the crop of universal compassion
To step into the abode of Vaisali dancer.

Blossoming sweetly sweetly mango grove
Sprinkling nectar today the path of Jasmine
New shoots are rising arc-like on each branch
Singing tunes the cuckoos loudly and blissfully.

Moving on Great path of search
Eating the milky food of rustic lass Sujata
The fruit of Bodhi tree that yielded Buddhatva
Would step into home of dancer of Vaisali.

My heart is turning into Manasarovar
My thought is floating up like a thousand-petalled flower
My affection is blowing all corners like tender fragrance
My joy is flowing over banks like sweet honey.


Cleansing the world of pollution in tears
Giving wings of light to swans of peace
overcoming ignorance, the harvest of Knowledge
Would arrive at the abode of dancer of Vaisali.

Tathagata would grace my house
The moon would visit this Lotus
My life is dancing like a wild peacock with new joy
My youth would recognize afresh its holy duty

The fountain of kindness changed
Bandits who draw rough blades and chop the necks
And who drink people’s blood
He would step into dwelling of dancer of Vaisali.

Sarat wore silver wings like a fine swan
Marut sprays fine pollen of nectar
Rivulet enchanted comes running brimming over
Sky stands and stares without winking forever.

Releasing the dumb creatures from bondage
Showering nectarine words at places of yagas
Giver of all, crop of goodness
Would grace the home of dancer of Vaisali.

Would arrive at my house today the giver of universal peace
Would give light to my eye the bringer of victorious goodness
My dame of fortune would wear the anklets to dance today
Love would surrender to peace today.

That Lord’s glance would relieve me of petty yearnings
His word is a bundle of harmony
All secure crop of peace and nonviolence
Would step into the dwelling of dancer of Vaisali

Today court dancer would welcome the world teacher
Today practice of many births would be meaningful
Would the sky shower rain of flowers and earth enraptured
Lord of mine would receive my worship “Buddham Saranam Gacchami.”

Remover of worldly sorrows, bright light of consciousness
Adornments of goddess of peace, spouts of prosperity and equity
The Sun rays overcoming darkness of ignorance
The blissful feet of Sakya prince my refuge eternal.
( I hope this translation captures Buddha's compassion that graced and transformed
all who came into contact with him.)

No comments:

Post a Comment